Alan S. Zelkowitz
Alan’s practice involves civil litigation in state and federal courts across the country as well as an appellate practice. He has defended companies in a broad range of asbestos, auto, personal injury and mass torts suits. He has also represented insurance companies in a broad range of insurance coverage matters involving all types of policies.
Alan’s practice is primarily devoted to the defense of toxic tort, occupational disease and property damage claims including exposure to dusts, chemicals, products such as asbestos, benzene and silica, latex and workplace fumes throughout Illinois and Missouri. He represents product manufacturers and distributors, contractors and installers, and premises owners. Clients include businesses and individuals in the oil, gas and chemical industries; boiler manufacturers; janitorial supply and chemical manufacturers; ceramic manufacturers; sheet metal product manufacturers; latex glove manufacturers; and soft drink manufacturers and bottlers.
Having worked as a clerk to the Honorable Richard P. Goldenhersh of Illinois Appellate Court for the Fifth Judicial District, Alan has extensive experience in appellate litigation. His appellate work has touched upon insurance coverage, subrogation/assignment of breach of contract action, various procedural issues, structural work act, coverage for assault & battery/negligent hiring, and other issues.
Alan has been rated an AV® Preeminent™ lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, representing the recognition of the highest level of professional excellence by his peers. He has also been listed in Leading Lawyers for the state of Illinois in the areas of product liability defense and toxic tort defense.
Alan served as an officer of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International for almost twenty years rising to the position of International Vice Justice (Vice President). Phi Alpha Delta is an organization of over two hundred thousand lawyers, judges and law students dedicated to fostering effective, ethical service to the student, the school, the profession, and the community.
- Washington University School of Law, JD, 1989; Jack Garden Humanitarian Award
- University of Illinois, BA, 1986; Marching Illini Undergraduate Staff Coordinator
- United States District Courts: Northern District of Illinois, Southern District of Illinois
- United States Supreme Court
Representative Reported Cases
- McNamee v. Federated Equipment & Supply Co., Inc., 181 Ill.2d 415, 215 N.E.2d 1157 (1998)
- Padgett v A & M Insulation Co., 266 Ill.App.3d 320, 640 N.E.2d 21 (3d Dist.1994)
- Aldridge v A.C. & S., Inc., 263 Ill.App.3d 931, 636 N.E.2d 1 (4th Dist.1994)
- "Navigating a Lawsuit in Illinois and Missouri," Berkley Specialty, March 14, 2014