Anita S. Johnson
Anita’s practice is dedicated to helping businesses throughout Illinois navigate and resolve workers’ compensation issues. Anita practices in all areas of civil litigation, with an emphasis on employment litigation, workers’ compensation defense, third party litigation, retaliatory discharge and workers’ compensation lien prevention. She also regularly advises employers in analysis of issues of insurance coverage, independent contractor status, indemnity agreements, and other construction and transportation concerns, as well as claims handling and audits, risk analysis, and policy drafting.
Anita is a frequent speaker and presenter on workers’ compensation issues and is a contributing author of the Illinois Chamber of Commerce’s Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog. She has been rated an AV® Preeminent™ lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, representing the recognition of the highest level of professional excellence by her peers.
In addition to her practice, Anita has been an active volunteer with Catholic Charities of Chicago and Lake Counties for more than twenty years, serving on the Legal Assistance and Public Policy committees as well as serving as a member and former chair of the Parish and Family Support Services’ Lay Advisory Board.
- DePaul University College of Law, JD, 1976; summa cum laude
- Northwestern University, BA, 1973; cum laude
- United States District Courts: Northern District of Illinois, Central District of Illinois, Southern District of Illinois
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce’s Workers Compensation Committee; Business Advisory board member
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Industrial Commission Abstracts, Inc.; past principal
- “Workers’ Compensation Compliance and Preparedness Audit,” Conducting Employment Practices Audit Publication, IICLE, 2014
- “Illinois Employment Law Handbook,” Illinois Chamber of Commerce, June 2013
- “Managing Workers Compensation Claims: From an HR Perspective,” webinar, February 10, 2015
- “Workplace Violence and Workers’ Compensation Implications,” 7th Annual Workers’ Compensation Conference for Illinois Employers, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, September 24, 2014
- “The Pitfalls of Doing Business Under Competing Laws in IL,” Diamond Mark Educational Meetings, LLC , February 24, 2014
- “Medical Marijuana Law to Have Little Impact for Many Employers,” Workers’ Comp Central, August 7, 2013
- “Workers’ Compensation Law is Still Bad: Now What?” Illinois Chamber of Commerce, webinar April 25, 2012
- MBA Program, Lewis University, April 17, 2012
- “A Deep Dive Into the World of Workers’ Compensation,” Assurance University, Rolling Meadows, IL, September 28, 2011; co-presenter
- “Workers’ Compensation: A Helping Hand or a Free Ride?” The Ohio Department of Mental Health & NEOUCOM in association with the American Academy of Psychiatry & the Law Midwest Chapter, Cleveland, OH, March 25, 2011; presenter