Cathy R. Gordon
Cathy has extensive experience in a broad range of civil defense litigation matters. She has defended manufacturers and suppliers in products liability, premises liability, and toxic tort cases in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Oklahoma, California, Mississippi, and Texas. She has also represented companies in litigation involving mining accidents, catastrophic personal injuries, chemical exposures, oil and gas services, hydraulic fracking, employment-related matters, commercial disputes, environmental insurance coverage, and cost recovery. In addition, she is involved in the defense of First Amendment rights through her representation and counseling of clients and her consultation in the drafting of legislation.
Cathy has served as both trial and appellate counsel for her corporate clients. As trial counsel, she has obtained defense verdicts in both state and federal courts. As appellate counsel, she has represented her clients before several state intermediate appellate courts as well as the Wisconsin and Minnesota State Supreme Courts and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. In addition to her work as trial and appellate counsel, she serves as Coordinating Counsel for clients whose toxic tort litigation extends across multiple jurisdictions. Cathy has been listed as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer every year since 2006.
When she is not practicing law, she enjoys spending time with her husband and three children and volunteering her time to non-profit organizations. She was formerly a member of the Board of Directors of the Orr Compassionate Care Center, a non-profit organization that provides respite services to homeless individuals recovering from illness or surgery. She is Chair of the Board of Specialty Outreach Services, a faith-based non-profit organization providing social services and counseling to troubled and delinquent youth. She is an Elder of the Saxonburg Memorial Presbyterian Church and a member of its worship team. She is also an Allied Attorney with Alliance Defending Freedom. Cathy is a member and Past President of the University of Pittsburgh Varsity Letter Club and served on its Board of Directors from 1995 to 2004.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, JD, 1989; Order of the Barristers
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, MPA, 1989
- University of Pittsburgh, BA, 1985
- United States District Court: Western District of Pennsylvania, Northern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals: Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
Representative Reported Cases
- Jesensky v. A-Best Products, et al., Case No. 06-3102, slip op. (3rd Circuit July 11, 2008), cert. denied (U.S. March 23, 2009)
- Haase v. Badger Mining Corp., et al., 682 N.W.2d 389 (Wis.2004)
- Gray v. Badge Mining Corp., et al., 676 N.W.2d 268 (Minn. 2004)
- Haase v. Badger Mining Corp., et al., 669 N.W.2d 737 (Wis. Ct. App. 2003)