Geralyn M. Passaro
Gerrie practices primarily in the area of insurance defense and commercial and complex business litigation with an emphasis on representation of directors and officers, agents and brokers, and others in professional liability and community association matters. Gerrie also handles complex personal injury, asbestos defense, and wrongful death actions, as well as employment liability matters. She has tried more than 40 cases to verdict, including four trials in the year 2013. Representative jury and non-jury trials in 2012 and 2013 where Gerrie served as lead counsel for the defense include a vehicular road rage case, a legal malpractice case, a real estate broker liability case, and two directors’ and officers’ liability cases.
Gerrie has been with Litchfield Cavo LLP in its Fort Lauderdale office since its inception in February 2009. She has been rated an AV® Preeminent™ lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, representing the recognition of the highest level of professional excellence by her peers.
Gerrie is a director emeritus and past president of the Broward County Fair. She is also active in Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida, serving as troop leader for two different troops.
- University of Miami School of Law, JD, 1986; member, Inter-American Law Review, Dean’s List
- Florida Atlantic University, BA, 1983
- United States District Courts: Southern District of Florida, Middle District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC): Chair of the Life, Health, and Disability Committee (2010-2012), Vice Chair, 2006-2009
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Florida Bar, Civil Rules Committee, appointed member (2006-2010)
- “Claims against Appraisers,” American Society of Appraisers, Miami Chapter, November 12, 2009
- “Subprime Effect: Foreclosure and Claims Against Professionals,” Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Orlando, May 29, 2009
- “Taking and Defending Depositions,” Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Fort Lauderdale, April 16, 2009
- “Representing the Insurance Professional in the Sale of Unauthorized Insurance Products,” Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Sun Valley, Idaho, June 2007
- “Claims of Exploitation of the Elderly in the Sale of Financial Products,” Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, San Diego, California, June 2005
- “Bailing Out Medicare: Defense Counsel’s Medicare Reporting and Set-Aside Obligations,” Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Quarterly, Volume 61, No. 3, Spring 2011
- “Claims of Exploitation of the Elderly in the Sale of Financial Products,” The Florida Bar Journal, October 2006
- "Sanctuary Reconciling Immigration Policy with First Amendment Rights," Inter-American Law Review, 1983
Representative Reported Cases
- Dade County School Board v Radio Station WQBA 731 So.2d 638 (Fla. 1999)
- Reamco Development Corp. v 499 Corp., 992 So.2d 431, (Fla. 4th DCA 2008)
- Bonica v Dade County School Board, 549 So.2d 220 (Fla. 3d DCA 1989)