Joseph E. Boury
During the course of his legal career, Joe has litigated, tried and prosecuted appeals in numerous complex civil cases, including the defense and prosecution of coverage litigation on behalf of insurance companies, the defense of companies and individuals in general commercial, personal injury and other litigation, and the representation of insurers and insureds in bankruptcy proceedings. He has also represented insurers and reinsurers in insurance industy litigation. His diverse civil cases have included construction and labor law actions, products, environmental, pharmaceutical and toxic tort matters, aviation accident, constitutional law and intellectual property litigation, and actions involving alleged defamation and securities law violations. His insurance coverage cases have included environmental, professional liability, executive liability, personal/advertising injury, bad faith, construction defect, excess and umbrella, business risk, investment advisors and funds liability, and additional insured actions. Joe also regularly provides coverage opinions and policy-drafting advice to insurers.
Upon finishing law school, Joe served as law clerk to the Honorable Mark A. Sullivan, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of New Jersey, from 1976 to 1977. From 1977 to 1981, he was a Judge Advocate/Area Defense Counsel in the United States Air Force, handling significant criminal trials and appeals. He also provided legal support in connection with aircraft accident investigations and represented the Department of Defense in rate hearings before the New Hampshire Public Utilities Commission. He was twice awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal for exceptional service. Joe has also served as Vice-Chair of the Intellectual Property Law Committee of the American Bar Association's Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section.
- Columbia University School of Law, JD, 1976; Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, editor
- Georgetown University's Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, BSFS, 1973; cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- United States Courts of Appeal: Third Circuit, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Courts: Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York, District of New Jersey, Middle District of Pennsylvania, Western District of Pennsylvania, Northern District of Ohio, Eastern District of Michigan, Western District of Michigan
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Military Appeals