Matthew T. McLain
Matt maintains an active civil litigation practice in both Texas and Louisiana. He has been involved in all aspects of civil litigation, from initial case assessment through jury verdict and post-judgment motions. Along with handling state court cases throughout Texas and Louisiana, he regularly appears in state-wide multidistrict litigation on behalf of a Fortune 100 chemical company as well as litigating matters in various federal district courts.
In representing another Fortune 100 company, Matt argued the charge conference and trial objections that led the Texas Supreme Court to reverse a multimillion-dollar wrongful death verdict and render a take-nothing judgment in favor of his client in the first Chapter 95 premises case considered by the Court. He has considerable experience in personal injury defense matters, including automobile and trucking injuries, premises liability, products liability, construction defect and toxic tort litigation.
In addition to personal injury defense work, Matt has experience handling ERISA matters and wrongful foreclosure claims. He also recently obtained a dismissal of an employee of an international onsite services company in theft of trade secrets case.
Prior to joining private practice, Matt served as an assistant attorney general for the State of Texas. During this time, he authored over 60 Open Records Letter Rulings.
Matt was included in the 2008 list of Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, a select designation only given to 2.5% of the total lawyers in the state. He was also listed as a Top Civil Defense Lawyer by Fort Worth magazine in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016.
Outside of his legal practice, Matt is on the Advisory Committee for Cliburn 180° and is a member of the Coastal Conservation Association.
- Southern Methodist University, JD, 2004
- University of Texas at Austin, BA, 2000; history
- United States District Courts: Northern District of Texas, Southern District of Texas, Eastern District of Texas, Western District of Louisiana
- Defense Research Institute
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association
Publications and Presentations
- “The Nuts and Bolts of Premises and Products Liability in Texas,” TAPS Annual Conference, October 2015.