Peter C. Kim
Peter concentrates his practice in employment matters, commercial litigation and aviation litigation claims. He has extensive experience representing clients in both state and federal courts, as well as state and federal agencies, in matters involving wage and hour dispute, employment discrimination, wrongful death, and directors and officers liability claims. Peter also serves as outside general counsel to a wide range of businesses, providing legal advice and litigation services, including human resource management and employment disputes.
Prior to venturing off on his legal career, Peter was a Trust Officer for The Northern Trust Company, where he led a team of internal financial portfolio auditors. During his time at The Northern Trust Company, he received company awards, including The Northern Trust Company Medallion Award for Outstanding Client Service. During law school, Peter served as a judicial intern for U.S. District Court Judge William J. Hibbler, served as president of a law students association and was active in moot court competitions. Peter also served as an editor of the Children’s Legal Rights Journal and was awarded the Leadership and Service Commendation.
Peter is active in the legal and non-profit communities. He has served on executive committees, as treasurer and as a board member. He has been recognized as a Rising Star by the Illinois Super Lawyers since 2010; only 2.5 percent of all lawyers in Illinois are included in the Rising Stars and receive this designation. In 2014, Peter was appointed to serve on the Chicago Bar Association's Judicial Evaluation Committee, where he helps provide the public with the information necessary to make an informed decision at the polls. For several years now, Peter has been serving low income families and individuals through pro bono legal clinics in housing, family law, real estate and similar matters.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, JD, 2003
- University of Illinois at Chicago, BS, 1997
- United States District Courts: Northern District of Illinois, Central District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Korean American Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National Employment Law Council
- Defense Research Institute
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, "Tips & Practice Pointers on Identifying, Evaluating and Handling Insurance Claims & Shifting the Risk," Western Regional Conference, NAPABA, Silicon Valley, July 20, 2017
- Speaker, "Practical Overview of Air Carriers' Rights Under the Montreal Convention," Chicago Bar Association, March 21, 2017
- Speaker, “Reasonable Accommodations for Pilots with Disabilities”, Chicago Bar Association, Aviation Committee, February 1, 2017
- Chair and Moderator, “The ABCs of Insurance Panel Counsel,” at the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Convention in New Orleans, Louisiana, November 6, 2015
- Contributing author, “Punitive Damages in Aviation Litigation,” Litigating the Aviation Case, 4th Ed., ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
Representative Reported Cases
- Madonia v. S37 Management, Inc., No. 14-cv-628, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 112647 (N.D. Ill. 2014)
- Oriental Ins. Co. v. BAX Global, No. 08-cv-4936, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6767 (N.D. Ill. 2009)
- Taylor v. Mooney Aircraft Corp., 265 Fed. Appx. 87 (3d Cir. 2008)