Peter J. Ponziani
Peter’s practice is dedicated to the insurance industry, its insureds, and private corporations. Areas of practice include products liability, directors and officers litigation, transportation litigation, construction litigation, extra contractor litigation and toxic tort.
Shortly after graduation, Peter was appointed to the State’s Attorney’s Office for the state of Connecticut. He worked as a Deputy Assistant State’s Attorney and then as an Assistant State’s Attorney in the Hartford Judicial District where he prosecuted and tried numerous misdemeanor and felony cases. He successfully prosecuted one of the first cases to be presented under what was then a new statute entitled "manslaughter in the second degree with a motor vehicle." He joined Litchfield Cavo LLP in 2001.
Peter has been rated a BV® Distinguished™ lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system, and was listed in the area of insurance law in Super Lawyers® in 2012 and 2013. He was also recognized as one of the top attorneys in Connecticut by Connecticut Magazine in February 2014.
Peter serves as Chairman of the Parks and Recreation Committee for the town of Avon, Connecticut.
- University of Connecticut, JD, 1978; book award for legal writing
- Georgetown University, BS/BA, 1975; magna cum laude with honors in economics
- United States District Court: District of Connecticut
- Hartford Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- Council on Litigation Management
Representative Reported Case
- Springdale Donuts, Inc. v. Aetna Cas. & Sur. Co. of IL, 1997 WL 688759 (Conn.Super. Oct 28, 1997)