Scott D. Stephenson
Scott has nearly 30 years of experience as a trial attorney handling complex commercial litigation. Scott’s practice includes the representation of Fortune 500 corporations as well as mid-size and small companies in cases involving product liability, toxic tort (asbestos, diacetyl, and mold), trucking, and breach of contract. These companies include manufacturers, distributors, retailers and shippers of a variety of consumer products, industrial equipment, and machinery. In addition, Scott has extensive experience handling construction defect, construction injury, and premises liability cases. He has also represented physicians, hospitals, nursing homes and attorneys in professional liability cases. Scott's practice is national in scope. In addition to Illinois, he has litigated cases in Missouri, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, and Indiana.
Scott is a graduate of the International Association of Defense Trial Counsel Trial Academy. In addition, he is an active member of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, which awarded him the President's Commendation in 2008 and the Meritorious Service Award in 2012. Scott has been named by his peers to the 2016 list of Illinois Super Lawyers, as well as being designated by the Leading Lawyer Network in the fields of product liability and toxic tort defense. These designations represent the top five percent of all lawyers in Illinois based on a statewide survey of his peers. He is also rated as an AV® Preeminent™ lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, representing the recognition of the highest level of professional excellence by his peers.
Scott is active in his community where he has volunteered as an assistant Scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America and as a youth athletic coach.
- The John Marshall Law School, JD, 1986
- University of Missouri-Columbia, BA, 1983; political science
- United States District Courts: Northern District of Illinois, Southern District of Illinois, Central District of Illinois, District of Colorado, Western District of Missouri, Eastern District of Missouri
- Trial Bar: Northern District of Illinois
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel: member, Board of Directors; Chair, Events Committee (2011-2012), Chair, Spring Seminar Planning Committee (2008), Vice-Chair, Spring Seminar Planning Committee (2007 and 2011), member of the Education Task Force, member of the Civil Practice and Procedure Committee.
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois State Bar Association
Representative Reported Cases
- Strahs v. Tovar's Snowplowing, Inc. 349 Ill.App.3d 634, 812 N.E.2d 441 Ill.App. (1 Dist. 2004)
- Silverman v. Economy Fire and Cas. Co. 272 Ill.App.3d 490, 650 N.E.2d 603 (1st Dist.1995)
- Marchese v. Vincelette, 261 Ill.App.3d 520, 633 N.E.2d 877 (1st Dist.1994)