Sean F. Darke
Sean is an experienced employment and labor law attorney and focuses his practice on advising and litigating employment and labor law matters. He successfully defends companies in both state and federal courts and state and federal administrative courts, specifically on matters involving wage and hour laws, employment discrimination, independent contractor agreements, noncompetition agreements, harassment claims, unemployment claims, unfair labor practices, state and federal agency audits, and several other key areas under both state and federal laws.
Prior to joining Litchfield Cavo, Sean honed his experience in employment and labor law while working for a boutique employment and labor law firm in Chicago. Before being admitted to practice, he worked as a judicial law clerk in the state of Michigan.
While in law school at Michigan State University, Sean served as editor-in-chief of the Entertainment and Sports Law Journal. Sean also furthered his studies in international legal issues by attending the University of Dublin College of Law in Dublin, Ireland, where he studied matters relating to the European Union.
Sean was listed as a Leading Lawyer in Illinois in the area of Employment & Labor--Management Side in 2018. The Leading Lawyer designation, issued by Law Bulletin Media, is based on statewide peer surveys and earned by only 5% of attorneys throughout Illinois.
In 2014, 2015, and 2016, Sean was named to the list of Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars in Employment and Labor--Management Side, a distinction given by Super Lawyers to no more than 2.5% of eligible attorneys in each state.
- Michigan State University College of Law, JD, 2004
- State University of New York, Potsdam, BA, 2001; Business Economics
- United States District Courts: Northern District of Illinois, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, Central District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals: Seventh Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Business Advisory Committee
Selected Presentations and Publications
- "Tipping the Scales: How the 10th Circuit Just Created a Show Down Over Tips." Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce, August 2017
- Illinois Employer Guide to Wage and Hour Issues, second edition, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2015
- "Is Your Company Protecting Its Most Valuable Assets?" Kensington Services, Inc., April 2009
- "To Notice or Not to Notice: The Warn Act" American Bar Association-Young Lawyers Section, April 2009
- Alternative Staffing, Inc. v. Illinois Department of Employment Security, et al., 2012 IL App (1st) 113332. Represented plaintiff in appeal defining what is considered misconduct under section 602A.