The ramifications of products liability lawsuits are significant for manufacturers, distributors and insurers. Litchfield Cavo LLP understands the risk and puts the full force of decades of litigation defense experience to bear on effectively and efficiently resolving product claims.
With breadth of experience in products liability matters across the country, we have the resources to minimize liability exposure and defend product defect claims throughout the United States. We have defended numerous clients in state and federal courts and have particular experience addressing the complexities of defending foreign companies in U.S. litigation.
Our attorneys perform a variety of roles extending beyond litigation.
Risk management. These liability cases often demand extensive interaction with our clients to address the immediate threat and to minimize future risk. We work to prevent or minimize products liability exposure through retrofit campaigns that provide new components and warnings, in-house consideration of safety issues and effective accident investigation.
Trial counsel. We take the lead in products liability defense litigation. Our attorneys place clients in the best position when facing claims alleging design and manufacturing defects, breaches of warranty, deceptive trade practices and other conduct.
National coordinating counsel. Clients with national product distribution rely on the firm to perform as coordinating counsel for litigation. We successfully organize the defense of related product claims by monitoring current litigation, investigating reported accidents involving products, reviewing and organizing key company documents, coordinating written and deposition discovery and participating in settlement or trial of suits.
Advisory counsel. Often our attorneys serve as advisory counsel to manufacturers of industrial equipment and other products concerning retrofit campaigns and preparing related component kits, safety labels, customer correspondence and operator manual and training material revisions.
Special counsel. When related or identical design issues are the subject of scrutiny on a national level, we assist manufacturers by conducting early and thorough accident investigations in these specialized cases, preparing the technical arguments available to defend the equipment design and ensuring that the group of nationwide cases is handled consistently over time and across jurisdictions.
Litchfield Cavo attorneys have worked with manufacturers and distributors of many products, including the following:
Our products liability defense record
Our attorneys are involved in hundreds of products liability actions across the country every year. The firm's recent cases include the following:
- Obtained a defense verdict after a jury trial for a manufacturer of agricultural machinery where the plaintiff claimed that a design defect in one of its machines resulted in debris striking the plaintiff and injuring the plaintiff's knee, requiring multiple surgeries.
- Defended a crane manufacturer in a two-month trial of a dispute involving failure of an overhead crane in a steel-producing facility. The verdict was substantially below the amount the plaintiff requested of the jury in closing arguments.
- Served as trial counsel for a lathe distributor in a six-week trial, obtaining a defense verdict against claims of negligence and strict liability and for punitive damages. We also successfully defended the verdict on appeal.
- Defended a major dairy against a class action arising from salmonella contamination that caused several hundred injuries and successfully defended against related claims for punitive damages at trial.
- Defended a major medical laboratory in products liability and medical malpractice litigation.