Melicent has more than 20 years of experience as a litigator and corporate counselor. She has broad litigation experience in Connecticut and Georgia state and federal courts in the areas of business disputes, professional and executive liability claims, defense of educational and financial institutions, employment law and general liability issues. Her insurance coverage law practice encompasses all areas of coverage advice in both the first and third party contexts and related litigation services, including declaratory judgment actions, defense of bad faith claims and reinsurance matters. Melicent also has substantial appellate court experience, having briefed and argued appeals before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut and both the Connecticut Supreme and Appellate Courts.
- Recall Total Information Management, Inc. et al. v. Federal Insurance Company et al., 317 Conn. 46, 115 A.3d 458 (2015)
- Successfully prosecuted, through appeal to the Connecticut Supreme Court, a motion for summary judgment on behalf of an insurer, with the Connecticut Supreme Court affirming the trial court’s decision that a commercial general liability policy does not afford defense or indemnity coverage for data breach claims, an issue of first impression under Connecticut law.
- Gartner, Inc. v. St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co., 415 F. App’x 282 (2d Cir. 2011)
- Vermont Mut. Ins. Co. v. Walukiewicz, 290 Conn. 582, 966 A.2d 672 (2009)
- Royal Indem. Co. v. Terra Firma, Inc., 287 Conn. 183, 947 A.2d 913 (2008)
- In re Cultrera, 360 B.R. 28 (Bankr. D. Conn. 2007)
- Acadia Ins. Co. v. Am. Crushing & Recycling, LLC, 475 F. Supp. 2d 168 (D. Conn. 2007)
- Konover Const. Corp. v. Royal Indem. Co., 399 F. Supp. 2d 130 (D. Conn. 2005)
- Cantonbury Heights Condo. Ass’n, Inc. v. Local Land Dev., LLC, 273 Conn. 724, 873 A.2d 898 (2005)
- Defended, through trial, owner of closely held corporation in action by widow of former co-owner seeking to compel disgorgement of profits and alleging unfair business practices prior to former co-owner’s death. Case involved complex business valuation analyses and related expert discovery and trial testimony.
- Counseled a corporate client in employment law and third party liability issues arising from employee’s theft in the course of employment including successfully accessing dishonesty bond coverage to cover the employer-client’s liability exposure in full and achieving termination of the employer-employee relationship without criminal or employment law exposure to the employer-client.
- Leveraged a highly complex motion for summary judgment prepared on behalf of an insurer-client in a declaratory judgment action in order to favorably position the insured in settlement negotiations in the underlying complex construction defect matter.
- Achieved favorable settlement for insured-client in a personal injury case involving a vehicle versus pedestrian accident and serious physical injuries to the pedestrian including long-term coma and post-coma treatment.