Nicholas focuses his practice in the areas of insurance coverage and general commercial litigation. He has experience in the nationwide litigation of commercial general liability, professional liability, and first-party property coverage issues on behalf of the United States, London, and Bermuda insurers. He has analyzed, advised and litigated a broad array of coverage issues involving occurrence and claims-made primary, umbrella and excess insurance policies. Nicholas also has experience defending insurers in bad faith actions, pursuing policy rescission, analyzing Lloyd’s of London claims schemes, and negotiating cost share and indemnity allocation agreements.
In addition to his insurance industry experience, Nicholas defends financial institutions in actions involving FLSA, TILA, RESPA, FACTA and FDCPA, defends businesses in asbestos suits, and advises on plan administrator requirements under ERISA.
After law school, Nicholas completed his judicial clerkship with the Honorable Sophia H. Hall, Chancery Division, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
- Cincinnati Ins. Co. v. AW Dynamometer, et al. (C.D. Ill., No. 17-cv-1164)
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s London et al. v. Amtrak, et al. (E.D.N.Y., No. 14-cv-4717)
- Midwest Allergy Regional, et al. v. Cincinnati Ins. Co. (8th Cir., No. 14-3026)
- Lolling v. Cincinnati Ins. Co. (C.D. Ill., No. 13-cv-3352)
- Cincinnati Ins. Co. v. Northridge Builders, Inc. et al. (N.D. Ill., No. 12-cv-9102)
- The Phoenix Ins. Co., et al. v. Your Vitamins, Inc., et al., 2013 WL 459226 (D. Nev., No. 12-cv-564)
- Hess v. Travelers Cas. & Sur. Co. of America, 2013 WL 623981 (N.D. Ill., No. 11-cv-1310)
- Secured, litigated and negotiated nationwide property damage claims in excess of $7 million arising out of Imprelis multi-district class action litigation