Tom focuses his practice primarily on premises liability, lender liability defense, complex commercial litigation, construction, toxic torts, employment, housing discrimination, group home defense and foster care defense. His past experience includes most areas of first and third party litigation including fraud, arson, bad faith, property, subrogation, errors and omissions, guardianships and elder care issues. Tom has also represented financial institutions in foreclosure proceedings. He is a certified mediator and arbitrator in Florida.
Prior to joining Litchfield Cavo LLP, Tom served as senior counsel for CNA Insurance where he handled major general liability, property, premises liability and subrogation cases from filing through mediation or trial. He previously served as the Deputy Director of the Statewide Public Guardianship Office where he coordinated the training and education of public guardians throughout Florida and served as a General Adjuster for a major property and casualty insurer for over 10 years.
While attending Stetson University College of Law, Tom earned a certificate of concentration in elder law. He also served on the Lt. Governor’s Task Force on Availability and Affordability of Long Term Care from 1999-2000 to improve elder care in Florida. Tom interned with the Florida Attorney General’s office in the Economic Crimes and Elder Protection divisions, and with Florida State Senator John Grant in the Statewide Public Guardianship Office. Tom also serves as an adjunct professor of law at Stetson University College of Law teaching course in Interviewing Counseling and Negotiation.
- Defended a contractor in a construction site wrongful death case arising out of the electrocution of an employee using heavy machinery
- Defended a general contractor in a case involving catastrophic injuries arising from building collapse due to improper drainage
- Defended maintenance worker who was sued for electrical work that caused a fire resulting in smoke inhalation and death of handicapped apartment resident
- Defended roofing contractor whose impaired employee negligently killed numerous pedestrians with a company vehicle
- Defended a major railroad contractor for age and race discrimination with allegations of retaliation and wrongful termination
- Defended case manager and company in child on child sexual assault case
- Defended owner and administrator in sexual assault case involving a child at a daycare
- Defended client in case involving placement of a child in foster home where she was sexually abused
- Defended negligent security case involving the sexual assault of a college student by another resident at a university apartment complex