Matt maintains an active civil litigation practice in Texas and Louisiana. His practice includes all aspects of civil litigation from initial case assessment through jury verdict and post-judgment motions. Matt counsels and defends clients in construction defect, premises liability, products liability, toxic torts and trucking cases in both federal and state courts. He also has extensive experience advising and defending commercial business litigation cases including those involving breach of contract, theft of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty. Further, Matt represents financial institutions in cases involving wrongful foreclosures and disputes arising from warehouse lending agreements.
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict for our company client and its driver employee in a case in which Plaintiff alleged that our client’s employee’s actions caused Plaintiff to strike our client’s tractor-trailer; after establishing that the evidence and laws of physics made it impossible for the collision to have occurred in the manner Plaintiff contended, the jury found no negligence on behalf of our clients.
- Obtained summary judgement as co-counsel after Plaintiff failed to exercise due diligence in attempting to serve our client with citation within the statute of limitations period; the lawsuit arose from an automobile accident in which the Plaintiff’s vehicle allegedly struck a four-foot-long post lying on the ground in a parking lot owned by our client, the owner of a commercial shopping center in Dallas County, Texas.
- As co-counsel in a wrongful death, premises liability case, argued the charge conference and trial objections that led the Texas Supreme Court to reverse a multi-million dollar wrongful death verdict and render a take-nothing judgment in favor of his client
- Achieved voluntary dismissal of multi-million dollar wrongful death claim based on the Court’s indication during oral argument that it would sustain defendant’s challenges to plaintiff’s expert witnesses
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of federal court injunction and claims against client in international commercial dispute alleging theft of trade secrets
- Prevented improper testing and treatment of evidence in pre-litigation multi-party site investigations to protect clients from subsequent improper and unnecessary litigation
- Handled multiple day long pre-trial hearings in the Texas Asbestos Multi District Litigation (MDL)
- Managed the defense and resolution of thousands of claims for premises and products defects in the Texas Asbestos MDL