Matt maintains an active civil litigation practice in Texas and Louisiana. He is involved in all aspects of civil litigation from initial case assessment through jury verdict and post-judgment motions. Matt routinely defends clients in construction defect, premises liability, products liability, toxic torts and trucking cases in both federal and state courts. He also has extensive experience in commercial cases including cases involving breach of contract, theft of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty. Further, Matt represents financial institutions in cases involving wrongful foreclosures and disputes arising from warehouse lending agreements.
- As co-counsel in a wrongful death, premises liability case, argued the charge conference and trial objections that led the Texas Supreme Court to reverse a multimillion dollar wrongful death verdict and render a take-nothing judgment in favor of his client.
- Achieved voluntary dismissal of multimillion dollar wrongful death claim based on the Court’s indication during oral argument that it would sustain defendant’s challenges to plaintiff’s expert witnesses.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of federal court injunction and claims against client in international commercial dispute alleging theft of trade secrets.
- Prevented improper testing and treatment of evidence in pre-litigation multiparty site investigations to protect clients from subsequent improper and unnecessary litigation.
- Handled multiple day long pre-trial hearings in the Texas Asbestos Multi District Litigation (MDL).
- Managed the defense and resolution of thousands of claims for premises and products defects in the Texas Asbestos MDL.