CONSTRUCTION LIABILITY AND DEFECT DEFENSE
Litchfield Cavo attorneys understand that rising costs of construction-related claims pose an increasing financial burden on insurance carriers, their insured owners and contractors. Moreover, rising costs due to injuries incurred by workers and others, as well as the increased frequency of defective construction property damage claims, hinder economic feasibility of insuring construction projects.
Our construction liability and defect attorneys have extensive experience managing construction-related claims, including construction defect for owners, contractors, developers, product manufacturers, suppliers and their insurers.
- Defense of owners and contractors against bodily injury and wrongful death claims arising from construction accidents
- Defense of general contractors, developers and product manufacturers against claims arising out of the allegedly defective construction of single family homes, multi-family projects and commercial and industrial facilities
- Prosecution of indemnification claims on behalf of general contractors and their insurers against subcontractors and material suppliers
- Prosecution and defense of claims for additional insured coverage
- Evaluation and litigation of insurance coverage issues arising out of construction accidents and construction defect claims
Our Construction Liability Record
- Summary judgment for a defendant municipality in case involving street and sewer improvements alleged to have caused injury to a pregnant mother, purportedly resulting in the death of her fetus
- Summary judgment on behalf of a Chicago high-rise building homeowner’s association and building management company in a wrongful death case involving a workman’s death from a fall from scaffolding erected for building repairs
- Summary judgment for a flooring contractor in a wrongful death case alleging failure of the contractor to protect a floor opening in a building under construction
- Summary judgment in Madison County, Illinois, on behalf of general contractor in a case involving a workman’s fall while erecting a building’s structural steel
In addition, Litchfield Cavo attorneys represent employers as third-party defendants nationwide in construction-related claims and provide consulting for risk management strategies.