Since 1998, Litchfield Cavo attorneys have been at the forefront of major coverage developments and have delivered the best possible coverage assessments by carefully scrutinizing policy language and the facts pursuant to applicable law in a straightforward manner. Our litigators represent insurance companies on complex issues of coverage, policy interpretation and appropriate application of exclusions. Litchfield Cavo attorneys analyze coverage and advise clients when navigating the increasingly dangerous extra-contractual environment, including counseling on insurance policies for areas such as first– and third-party, bad faith, primary and excess, medical and non-medical professional liability and reinsurance.
Most recently, Litchfield Cavo has become an industry leader in coronavirus coverage litigation. Our attorneys have served as lead counsel in state and federal coronavirus coverage lawsuits, and have consistently obtained favorable results on behalf of our clients in courtrooms across the country.
Litchfield Cavo clients continue to rely on our nationwide team of experienced coverage attorneys, and their breadth of experience, for drafting new policy language and evaluating compliance with statutory requirements while providing prompt, meaningful counsel.
If a disagreement arises over coverage determination our attorneys vigorously defend the insurer’s action while seeking the best possible economic outcome through litigation, arbitration and participation in the appraisal process in connection with first-party claims. When in dispute, our attorneys provide practical approaches to defend and resolve the insurer’s coverage decisions in conference rooms, during trial, at the appellate courts and before arbitration panels across the nation.
Our Insurance Coverage Record
Litchfield Cavo attorneys have a solid record of success defending insurance coverage disputes, including the following representative matters:
- Successfully defended insurer clients respecting coverage for municipal liability for civil rights claims for wrongful arrest and malicious prosecution.
- Obtained summary judgment involving application of the family exclusion in a homeowner’s policy where children sued stepfather’s estate for murder/suicide of their mother.
- Defense of insurance company against bad faith claims for not “splitting” a file, notwithstanding the insurer’s unreserved acceptance of the tender of defense.
- Monitored defense counsel in multi-plaintiff cases alleging violations of Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA).
- Coordinated with other national coverage counsel to address concussion-related claims against the National College Athletic Association (NCAA), helmet manufacturers and other entities.
- Assisted with resolution of hundreds of property claims arising from hurricanes in southern and southeastern states.
- Obtained summary judgment and favorable state appellate rulings relating to trigger of coverage for wrongful incarceration cases, overruling adverse federal decisions and avoiding multimillion dollar exposure.
- Obtained summary judgment on the duty to defend a complex intellectual property case involving over $6 million in claimed defense costs.
Litchfield Cavo LLP has earned National Tier rankings in U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” for consecutive years in the categories of Insurance Law and Litigation – Insurance due to our attorneys’ experience litigating insurance and coverage claims across the United States. Our Firm has also earned top Regional Rankings for practices in key geographical areas across the nation, including Boston, Chicago, Hartford, Houston, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Las Vegas and Utah.