Alan’s defense practice includes civil litigation cases in state and federal courts across the country as well as an appellate practice. He defends companies in a broad range of asbestos, torts/toxic tort, construction defect, personal injury and auto lawsuits. Alan’s experience includes representing insurance companies in a broad range of coverage matters involving all types of policies.
For more than 25 years, Alan has devoted his defense practice to representing product manufacturers and distributors, contractors, installers and premise owners in toxic tort, occupational disease and property damage claims including exposures to dusts, workplace fumes, chemicals and products such as asbestos, benzene, silica and latex.
Early in his career, Alan was a clerk to the Honorable Richard P. Goldenhersh of Illinois Appellate Court for the Fifth Judicial District, that provided him extensive experience with appellate litigation. During his appellate work he touched upon insurance coverage, subrogation/assignment of breach of contract action, various procedural issues, structural work act, coverage for assault and battery/negligent hiring and other issues.
- Coffman v Armstrong Int’l., et al., No. E2017-01985-SC-R11-CV (Tenn. Jan. 4, 2021)
- Successfully represented industrial valve manufacturer client before the Tennessee Supreme Court; the Court held that, under Tennessee law, manufacturers do not have a duty to warn of the dangers associated with post-sale integration of asbestos-containing materials manufactured and sold by others
- McNamee v. Federated Equipment & Supply Co., Inc., 181 Ill.2d 415, 215 N.E.2d 1157 (1998)
- Padgett v A & M Insulation Co., 266 Ill.App.3d 320, 640 N.E.2d 21 (3d Dist.1994)
- Aldridge v A.C. & S., Inc., 263 Ill.App.3d 931, 636 N.E.2d 1 (4th Dist.1994)